Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Meatless Craze

Im in a meatless craze even though its not Lent. Since we bought our new van in January things have been really tight within our budget. Im constantly looking for ways to save at the one biggest, consistent, weekly expense-groceries. A friend suggested eating more meatless meals and so I thought I would give it a try. Here are some of my new favorites that are saving us money each week!


1. Black Bean Burgers
Recipe: skinnytaste.com

These are so good and have a consistency that actually tastes like beef. I have found that making a large batch up is the easiest way to make these. Then they store in the freezer and go right from there to the pan-no defrosting necessary!The Chipotle sauce is a must with these.

2. Quick and Easy Pizza Crust
I had heard about using "better for bread" flour but was skeptical. This recipe calls for it and I can defiantly tell a difference. This is quick, easy, and much cheaper than buying the store crust. We usually have just cheese or veggie pizza. We have also made this once and it was yummy:

Four Cheese Pizza

3. Lastly, and sadly I have no picture, but I'll call them:
Recipe:Black Bean and Avocado Wraps
Came from a friend!

Combine 1 can of black beans, 1 avocado, 1/2 lime (juice), cilantro (to taste) and some feta cheese (which you will have left over if you made the above pizza!) 

Mash the beans and avocado and combine the rest. I served these with tortillas and they were a hit! My other not new obsession, since I've been making them for a while are these:


Home Made Flour Tortillas

I make these at least once a week and they are prefect for just about any meal. We had the black bean/avocado mix on them and then had eggs with feta cheese on them the next morning. They also taste delicious with cinnamon and sugar on them! And once you make them I promise you will not go back to store bought. I did end up investing in one of these:
Found here. It saves me so much time!

So there's my meatless suggestions. Anyone else have other easy favorites?



1 comment:

  1. One of my favorites (especially for winter when there's not too much else in season) is mixing pasta with cannellini beans and leafy greens like swiss chard or kale and onions cooked in garlic, oil, and white wine. Mmmm so delicious - don't forget the cheese on top! Or for summer you can do it with zucchini and yellow squash.

    I'm also a big fan of veggie-heavy chili or taco meat. I use one pound of ground beef with a TON of veggies - 3 types of beans, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower, tomatoes, whatever you have. As long as you cook it down food and season well, the veggies don't even taste like veggies anymore, everything just tastes all meaty and delicious and you can literally stretch one pound of beef into enough to feed 10+ people. You can use this mixture straight as chili, in tacos/burritos, on top of nachos, stuffed in baked bell peppers with rice, etc. Again, don't forget the cheese!

    ReplyDelete